I don't know if it is the giddiness of The Naked Ovary's return and story, or watching my friend Lil being just days away from bringing her third into the world, that's addling my brain.
Yesterday we got an email from the agency we used to adopt Small Sun. It was a call for families. In an adoption industry where the majority of couples want to adopt healthy white infants, our agency is always looking for families to adopt children that are African American, or biracial. Right now they are facing about seven possible placements, with only two families ready for a placement.
I thought about it all day.
So far what I've found out about our ability to adopt as expats in Australia has run the gamut of Impossible -> insanely complicated. I was really interested in pursuing another (American) domestic transracial adoption, from abroad, but the only agency I've found that does expat adoptions closed their domestic program. They also looked sketchy.
It is technically possible that we could adopt and finalize before we moved...or by delaying our trip only slightly. We could adopt here with so little hassle - just update our homestudy and amend our visa application.
The hardest part of transitioning to two for me was when Small Sun couldn't walk from the car to the front door and I was carrying him and the Sprout. She's mobile and while I couldn't just set her walking, she's pretty low-maintenance at this point.
Is that even possible? A child being low-maintenance? What am I saying?
I'm consistently well rested and we're in a pretty good groove here. I can imagine adding a baby to the mix. Having the contrast of birthing a child and adopting a child, I feel like I could adopt again a lot sooner than I could birth again.
It was about 11:30pm before we got in bed last night and I mumbled this idea out, half ashamed to even bring it up. I got my nerve up to ask the Captain what he thought and he shot of questions like rounds of ammunition. His closing remarks were "that's a wholelottacrazy". Until I prompted him for something more definite, and he managed to squeeze out a "we'll think about it, and pray about it, and see what happens."
See, I'm married to a good man. Most others would have bolted out the door, running for the hills in their boxers.
Perhaps that is the appropriate reaction?
PS- maybe I shouldn't be weaning the Sprout after all, I might need this milk supply. And maybe I shouldn't give away all of our baby stuff because we're moving...